25 03 2011

Well, the “busy day ahead” statement that I made last time I posted?  Yeah, that was a HUGE understatement.

The first appointment (the echo) got started late, and then took a lot longer than expected because Aiden decided that he was going to fight the sleep and then wake up twice while he was supposed to be sleeping.  (But, of course, decided to sleep heavily while he was supposed to be waking up.)  Once the echo was done, we headed across the floor to meet with the doctor about getting the results.  Because the echo was backed up, we didn’t get in to see the doctor about the results until after 1:00.  (We were supposed to see him at 11:00, they’d just started the echo at 10:45.)

The nurse practitioner came in and went over the results with us, which were exactly what we were expecting.  When he was born, and while he was on the oscillator, he had a condition called Pulmonary Hypertension which is high (blood?) pressures in the arteries of the lungs, which makes the heart have to work harder.  By the time we were released from SickKids, it had resolved itself, but they want to make sure that it’s not going to come back.  His heart is working perfectly, and the only thing that concerned them was a small hole at the top of his heart.  She said that every baby is born with it, and it usually closes itself up by now, but they’re not going to do anything about it at this point, because it still could close itself.  We go again next year for a follow up, and they’ll look at it again and go from there.

We had another appointment after that to see the surgeon that did his hernia repair, so we ran upstairs to see her, but she was off the floor for a bit, so we went and did a lung perfusion scan.  They injected a small amount of radioactive dye into his body, and did x-rays on his lungs to see how much blood was making itself into each lung.  (If the results of that were poor, the nurse practitioner was going to call us.  We haven’t gotten any calls yet, so I’m assuming the results came back okay.)

After that, we went back up to see the surgeon.  She poked at him for a couple seconds, asked about his diet, told us to go down to the main floor and get an x-ray and said she’d see us again in a year.

Finally, we were able to grab a bite to eat.  And then we headed home.

And, I’m starving, so I’ll have to update more later.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: