emailed post

23 12 2010

So, despite all our efforts, it looks like Aiden will be spending his first Christmas in the hospital.  Last week, we had a follow up ultrasound (in Barrie). This afternoon, we met with his pediatrician to get the results. Unfortunately, because this was the first ultrasound that they’d done in Barrie, they had nothing to compare it to, and they hadn’t yet gotten the scans that SickKids had done, we didn’t get any results.  She went on to do a regular check up, and when she measured his head, she found that it had grown 2.5 cms in the last three weeks (the norm is 1 cm per month), so she said she was going to call SickKids and see what their recommendation was, but she was pretty sure they’d want to see him in the next few days. She came back about 15 minutes later saying that the neurosurgeon wanted to see him tonight to do an MRI, and that we were to check in at the emergency department and they would page the on-call neurosurgeon to come see us right away. She said that we had time to go home and feed Aiden, and pack a bag and such, but to get there tonight.  We went home and called my parents to let them know what was going on, packed up our bags and fed Aiden and had something to eat and then we left. We got to the hospital just after 7:00, and the doctor here was confused at how long it took us to get there because they were expecting us there around 5:30 or 6:00.  The doctor did a quick check of him and said that he seems fine, he’s got good reflexes and motor skills and etc, but they were going to do a CT scan and then admit him for the night. He asked if we thought he would sleep through the scan, and if we could get him to sleep. We got him to sleep not long after, and headed over to the CT scan room.  The results weren’t quite what we were hoping for. The water on his brain is about 10 times what it should be, and its not draining, so he needs to have a shunt put in, and the sooner it happens, the better. The neurosurgeon is going to try his best to make sure that it happens tomorrow. The procedure itself usually takes 45 minutes, but the whole time he’ll be in the OR will be about an hour and a half to two hours. He’ll have to fast for 8 hours before the surgery, and then another 4 hours after. He’ll have to stay in the OR recovery area for 2 hours after the shunt is put in to make sure there’s no immediate complications, and then he’ll be moved up to the 5th floor to recover. Hopefully he’ll be able to leave after two or three days, which seems to be the norm here.  Now, we’re hanging out in his ER room until a room upstairs opens up. We were told that we’ll get one tonight, they’re just waiting for a room to open up. (I’m not holding my breath, considering its already quarter after 12:00.) I’ll write more tomorrow.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: